Thursday, September 22, 2016

Generator Odyssey

Update:  Incidentally, the best electric motor I found for generating electricity was out of an old dishwasher.  Unfortunately, however, it doesn't have the proper crank or assembly to really make it practical for generating electricity.  However, if you feel inspired, it can generate something, and with a diode, I believe it would feed it back to the grid even.  Anyway, more info below.

So I was looking at some of my old video logs, and thought I'd write about generators.  I tried using an old fan to generate energy for the grid.  So I was spinning the generator for quite some time, and even burned out two fans with this experimentation, one was a salvage job I found on the sidewalk.  But, I never tested the fan with a light bulb.

You may have better luck, if you have a fan you don't need anymore that doesn't work, you could try wiring the plug using some spare wire to a lamp.  Connect positive to positive and negative to negative then spin the fan and see if you can generate light.  Maybe you can tinker with it, and get it to work.  I also tried doing it with a diode but that didn't work with any of the fans I had access to.

I did manage to light a lightbulb using an asynchronous motor that I pulled out of a dead microwave, which I still have somewhere.  It was the motor that spun the tray.  But it only generates about 6W (watts), which isn't enough to be practical.  I mean I hooked it up to our battery charger and spun it for like an hour, but it wasn't enough to charge the AA batteries enough to be noticeable, and of course my volt meter needs a specialized 12V battery so I couldn't test the batteries to see how much, if anything, was getting in.

I also bought some small solar panels, which can charge AA rechargeable batteries for $15 a piece, which worked for me before, but I tried hooking them up in series to charge my cellphone, but it didn't generate enough voltage.  So, I reset them and use them now to charge AA batteries for flashlights and remote controls.  Solar powered flash light anyone?

All the work with little to no gain has left me somewhat bitter.  I guess Sisyphus finally got tired.  As much as I'd like to completely not use electronics, not using them has proven more difficult.  But, I'm still trying to find replacements in order to conserve energy.  Basically, I only play anything when I get tired of meditating, because my ability to concentrate on the space and light in my own mind isn't strong enough of a distraction to overcome the static outside.  Well, I guess that isn't entirely true.  If I really knew, for a fact, that electronics were evil, because they were completely devoid of spirit, or the sacred, or the divine, I could cut it cold turkey.  The Abyss.

Anyway hope this helps if you are considering creating an electric generating home gym.

Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment